Fall 2019 Symposium Schedule
Monday, December 9th, 2019, 12:00-3:30pm
Marvin Center, 3rd floor
11:30-12:00 pm Presenter Check-in (Grand Ballroom, 3rd Floor)
12:00 pm Lunch Speaker and Discussion
Guest speaker: Alexander Justice Moore, Chief Development Officer, DC Central Kitchen, and author of, The Food Fighters: DC Central Kitchen’s First Twenty-Five Years on the Front Lines of Hunger and Poverty(2014).
Lunch catered by DC Central Kitchen.
1:30-2:30pm Concurrent Reflection Sessions
Service and Social Justice: How do we Make the Connection?
Marvin Center Room 311
Facilitator: Mr. Timothy Kane, Associate Director of Inclusion Initiatives, Multicultural Student Services Center
GW Partnerships with DC Public Schools
Marvin Center Room 301
Facilitator: Dr. Jonathon Grooms, Assistant Professor, GSEHD and Co-director of GWTeach
The Sustainability Forum: Why do you Care and Why does it Matter?
Marvin Center Room 307
Facilitator: Dr. Tara Scully, Assistant Professor of Biology, and Director of the Sustainability Minor
Special Guest: Alexander Justice Moore, DC Central Kitchen
Creatively Capturing the Complexities of Communities: Video Screening and Discussion
Marvin Center Room 302
Facilitator, Dr. Imani M. Cheers, Associate Professor of Media and Public Affairs
Featuring student work from SMPA 4180: Online Journalism Workshop
2:40-3:30pm Showcase Presentations
Students from a variety of disciplines will present on their community engaged scholarship through courses, research, and fellowships.
- The 2019/2020 Knapp Fellow, Zaniya Lewis
- The 2019/2020 Knapp Fellow, Yesenia Yepez
- Eco-Equity Challenge grant recipient, Jonathan Kvilhaug
- HSCI 2110: Disease Prevention/Health Promotion, Instructor: Maranda Ward
- HSSJ 1100: Introduction to Human Services and Social Justice, Instructor: Emily Morrison
- HSSJ 1177: Organizing Social Justice and Human Services, Instructor: Gretchen Van Der Veer
- HSSJ 3110W: Program Planning and Evaluation, Instructor Michelle Kelso
- HSSJ 3152: Fact/Field/Fiction, Instructor Emily Morrison
- TRDA 3131W: Theatre for Social Change, Instructor: Jodi Kanter