Thank you for your interest in becoming a Texas State Park Ambassador! Applications are due Monday, September 30, 2019 before midnight CST.
The required Ambassador Leadership Training (ALTA) will be held Nov. 15-19, 2019 at Lake Mineral Wells State Park. Panhandle and North Texas Ambassadors will serve their State Parks from Dec. 1, 2019 to Jun. 1, 2020.
The following application will be used to select Ambassadors for the Panhandle and North Texas State Park regions. These regions include potential Ambassador opportunities with the following State Parks:
Abilene State Park
Caddo Lake State Park
Caprock Canyons State Park & Trailway
Cedar Hill State Park
Cooper Lake State Park Complex
Copper Breaks State Park
Daingerfield State Park
Dinosaur Valley State Park
Fort Parker State Park
Lake Brownwood State Park
Lake Mineral Wells State Park
Lake Whitney State Park
Meridian State Park
Mother Neff State Park
Palo Duro Canyon State Park
Possum Kingdom State Park
In order to be considered, you must:
• Be a current Texas resident, preferably in the Panhandle/North Texas region and nearby your State Park.
• Be between the ages of 18-30 and a high school graduate.
• Have reliable transportation.
• Be able to fully attend the five-day Ambassador Leadership Training Adventure (ALTA).
• Be able to commit 40 hours over six months to complete the required projects.
AMBASSADOR LEADERSHIP TRAINING ADVENTURE (ALTA)
Ambassadors are welcomed to the program and prepared for a successful park partnership during this five-day leadership training camping trip from Nov. 15-19, 2019 at Lake Mineral Wells State Park.
We provide opportunities to become certified in Leave No Trace and TPWD programming, gain skills in outdoor recreation, practice leadership and collaboration, and engage in adventure activities. Park, facility, and activity fees are covered by the Ambassador Program. Essential gear (sleeping pad, tent, backpack) can be provided if needed.
Participants will be responsible for:
- Transportation to and from the training
- Breakfast and lunch
STATE PARK PROJECTS
As a State Park Ambassador, you will be partnered with a Point of Contact at a nearby State Park to complete at least one project in each of the following areas:
Hands-On Service: support your State Park by improving current structures or environments.
- Examples: improving existing recycling program, trail conservation/erosion control, graffiti removal, sign installation, sign painting, interpretive trunk construction, public volunteer events for invasive species removal, trash removal, flood damage repair, construction of seating area at the park designated star viewing area, painting of bird blinds in the park
Community Outreach: share information about your State Park with the public.
- Examples: creating partnerships with organizations that serve under represented communities, tabling at community events, developing more partnerships with local schools, community centers, libraries, festivals, and outdoor recreation stores, bringing International Dark Sky awareness to the surrounding communities, taking a virtual reality tour of the park to groups/schools that cannot afford to come out to the park, leading Archery or Boater Education programs, helping organize Friends Group special events
Social Media: use various social media platforms to highlight your State Park.
- Examples: writing material for Instagram posts, creating standardized graphics for common park alerts (ex: burn ban, pool closed), YouTube and Google videos about park, help with Instagram management, creating video how-tos for invasive ant control, respecting the park for school groups, more photos and videos for social media, launching a Leave No Trace campaign on social media, taking nature and wildlife photos, producing fun videos about the park and park regulations, Snapchat takeovers, 360 photos, assist with the BioBlitz, setting up 6 month schedule of social media posts, increase social media presence
• You may be part of a small team of Ambassadors at the same State Park.
• Only fully completed applications will be considered.
Please email or call if you have further questions:
Louisa Torrance | Ambassador Program Coordinator
0 Positions Filled | 0 Impacts | 0 Hours