Just in time for the grand opening of the Northern Walnut Creek Trail, we will take a first step to make it easier to get from the parking lot for the swimming pool to the new trail. Our goal is a bit grandiose:
- Spread mulch under a huge oak tree towards the trailhead from the pile. (Update: By my calculations, this is all we will be able to accomplish with 25 cubic yards of mulch. When I can arrange to get more mulch, we will complete the next two steps—probably in at least three projects.)
- Spread mulch over areas of exposed limestone (or caliche) between the trail and the parking lot.
- Use any remaining mulch to cover bare dirt produced by work to clean up damage to trees from the ice storm.
Because the grand opening begins at 11 a.m. (RSVP on Facebook), we will make quick work of the mulch pile and be done by then. Please do stay for the opening celebration. It runs from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.:
- People who can help us make things happen will be there.
- A food truck will be on site, so we can buy lunch or a snack to tide us over.
- We can relax, get to know one another, and share ideas about projects we can do.
As for tools:
- If you can bring a wheelbarrow, please do.
- If you have a garden rake or square-ended shovel, please bring it.
- If not, don't worry. I will provide tools and work gloves.
Other than that, wear sturdy shoes, dress for the weather, and bring your own full water bottle. And don't forget—every volunteer will get an awesome It's My Park Day T-shirt designed by a local artist!
C828+76R Austin, Texas