Position Title: Volunteer Assistant for Refugee Literacy Classes
Purpose: Volunteer as an assistant to an experienced pre-K instructor teaching a group of young children (0-4 years) from refugee families. The children will be improving their literacy skills and preparing for when they are old enough to attend school. The children's parents will be studying English in an adjacent classroom.
High Point Refugee Literacy Classes will be on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9-11am.
· Commit to volunteering for two hours in a child classroom on the same day each week (or on multiple days each week, if the volunteer would like to help with several classes)
· Read with children
· Sing songs with children
· Play games with children
· Inform parents in an adjacent classroom when their child's diapers need to be changed
Time Commitment: Classes start in January 2019 and will continue through September 2019, with the possibility of extending beyond that date.
· Welcoming to refugees
· Curious about languages and cultures
· Patient with babies and young children
· Enthusiastic about reading, singing and playing games with young children
· Willing to undergo a background check for child-care workers
8 Positions Filled | 0 Impacts | 0 Hours